London Borough of Tower Hamlets
'We are the Sight and Hearing service. Our customers are people who are blind, partially sighted, deaf, hard of hearing or Deafblind. Our goal is to promote independence, equality and inclusion by providing a personalised service which will enable a person to have choice and control over their life. We will do this by using our specialist knowledge and skills to work with the person, their carer, family, community and services to achieve a positive outcome for them.'
What is the Sight and Hearing Service?
The Sight and Hearing service helps anyone who is Deaf, Blind, who has a hearing, visual or dual sensory loss. To access the services people must be over 18 years of age and live in Tower Hamlets.
We can provide:
- social work support
- general information and advice
- an assessment of your needs with regard to your sight loss, hearing loss or dual sensory loss
- support services to meet your eligible needs following assessment, this may include: practical support and specialist equipment
- vision rehabilitation training and equipment to encourage your independent living skills
- mobility /travel training for blind and partially sighted people
- classes in braille and advice on IT equipment
- BSL video link.
- links with local community groups and the NHS who work with adults that have a sensory loss.